Locations Scouting for the Cinematographer or Photographer in You
Whether you are a photographer or a cinematographer, location scouting is an essential process that makes up the pre-production stage.
In terms of cinematography, it all depends on the script and some other aspects that the directors or producers have decided to include in it. After a preferred story has been established and all the elements that compose a particular scene have been defined, it is time to choose a particular location for filming that scene. That is, if the scene cannot be filmed inside a studio.
For photography, regardless if it’s commercial, fashion or nature photography, it all depends on the particular requirements set out by the photographer who has been assigned with the photo shoot. If a specific place meets the criteria of that photo shoot, then the photographer will try and make the most of it.
Depending on the specifications of the film or photographs that are to be done, scouting for locations can range from simply picking a place on the streets, in front of the production studio to traveling to remote areas such as the Brazilian rainforests. It is all highly dependent on the characteristics and peculiarities of the atmosphere that is needed to be achieved.
Nevertheless, there are a few tips that can be kept in mind in order to make location scouting easier:
- The script needs to be well-written and understood, otherwise finding the scenery that could be appropriate can be difficult;
- Scouting needs to be done in accordance with the different locations. That is, if a shoot is planned in an area where there is high tide, timing the filming or photographing on a well-defined schedule will improve the overall process;
- The lighting that is available in the scenery needs to be properly accounted for as it can make a tremendous difference;
- Whether or not you are using high-tech, battery powered equipments; it is always advisable to search for backup power supplies in the area;
- Last but not the least, when shooting in areas where special approvals are required, it is recommended to obtain the permissions beforehand.